Same faces, new places: Owen Center for Teaching and Learning on the move
Open configuration options
Owen CTL to Beeghly
It’s a “same faces in new places” situation for the Owen Center for Teaching and Learning team. Last week, the team began the formidable task of moving from the third floor of the Campus Center to Beeghly Library.
It’s definitely a process that will unfold over the coming academic year, as the team works to integrate all of its student support services and resources to its new location. Ultimately, the move will provide the best wrap-around student academic support possible – all in a central place.
Eventually, later in the fall semester, the HYPE Career Ready team will relocate Beeghly Library as well.
The Owen Center provides academic support, academic advising, accessibility services, faculty development and instructional technology and study abroad for students and faculty. Library instruction remains, and with the addition of HYPE Career Ready, internship advising and career placement, make the future “learning commons” a convenient one-stop shop.
So why the move and why now?
“We’ll now be able to provide better wrap-around student academic support,” said Dr. Courtney DeMayo Pugno, Executive Director of the Owen Center and Assistant VP for Academic Affairs.
“By centralizing student support services, library instruction and internship and career services in a single location, we will create an integrated ‘learning commons’ that supports all facets of student success and matriculation to graduation and beyond.”
Removing silos between offices that support students and reducing barriers that might prevent a student from getting the help and support they need will be positive outcomes from the relocation, Courtney said.
“And providing better service to the entire campus community – students, faculty and staff.”
Here’s a quick rundown of who’s now located in Beeghly Library to support students and where you can find them:
• Morgan Harrigan, Director of Academic Support – Beeghly 105
• Cassandra Lagunzad Brown, Director of Library Services – Beeghly 101
• Dr. Courtney DeMayo Pugno, Executive director of the Owen CTL and AVPAA – Beeghly 102
• Alyssa Kontak, Coordinator of Student Accessibility Services – Beeghly 103
• Erin Chapman, Director of Academic Advising – Beeghly 218
• David Briggs, Academic Advising Coordinator – Beeghly 219
• Amy Hammitt LoConti, Administrative Assistant and Study Abroad Coordinator – Beeghly 202 and Front Desk
• Rebecca Frank, director of Faculty Development and Instructional Technology – Beeghly 220
Check out the Owen CTL’s new digs early and often and take full advantage of the services for student success.