President announces DEIC members
In a message to the campus community this morning, President Rob Huntington has announced the appointments to Heidelberg's new Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee.
Faculty and staff were invited last spring to self-nominate or nominate others, and about 30 took advantage of that opportunity. "I appreciated the tremendous desire by so many colleagues to improve our campus culture and strengthen our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at Heidelberg," Rob said.
The original plan was to have Margaret Rudolph, Chief Human Resources Officer and Title IX Coordinator, and Cherrelle Gardner, Director of Multicultural Student Affairs, to co-lead the DEIC. However, when Cherrelle departed in June, Margaret and Rob asked Douglas Stoll, Coordinator of Student Accessibility Services, and DoHee Kim-Appel, Associate Professor of Counseling, to serve as interim tri-chairs of DEIC.
Margaret, Douglas and DoHee reviewed all of the nominations based on their answers to the two nomination questions (Why are you interested in being on the DEIC? How do you envision a Heidelberg University without barriers?). They did an excellent job of providing their recommendations for appointments to the committee.
The 11-person DEIC membership is as follows:
• Andrew Aebly, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
• Michele Castleman, Associate Professor of Education
• Rem Confesor, NCWQR Senior Research Scientist
• Brady Gibson (HU '16, MBA '17), Assistant Director of Admission Operations
• Shaun Gunnell, Men's & Women's Golf Head Coach and Women's Basketball Assistant Coach
• Morgan Harrigan (HU '09), Women's Basketball Head Coach and Senior Woman Administrator
• DoHee Kim-Appel, Associate Professor of Counseling (Interim Tri-Chair)
• Douglas Stoll, Coordinator of Student Accessibility Services (Interim Tri-Chair)
• Rebecca Taylor, Instructional Technologist
• Director of Multicultural Student Affairs, to be hired (Co-Chair)
• Margaret Rudolph, Chief Human Resources Officer and Title IX Coordinator (Co-Chair)
"I am excited about the positive impact of their important work going forward!" Rob said. "Please join me in congratulating and thanking all of these colleagues for their willingness to serve on our new Heidelberg Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee."