Chemistry professor returns to his 'Berg roots
Dr. Curt Woolever, a self-professed science and math nerd, will realize a dream when he returns to his alma mater as a member of the Chemistry Department faculty next week.
“It has always been my dream to come back here to teach,” says Curt, who graduated from Heidelberg in ’95 with his bachelor’s degree in chemistry, math and business administration. “I want to have an impact on my students the same way my professors at Heidelberg did on me.”
Following his graduation from Heidelberg, Curt went on to earn his Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry from Ohio University. From his days at the ‘Berg, he has fond recollections of Professor Emeritus of Chemistry Richard Cordell, who instilled the value of hard work and self-sufficiency, and the late Professor John Groce, who brought fun to the lab experience as well as “generosity and kindness in teaching.” From Professor Emeritus of Math Mel Casler, he learned the ability to be fun in class but still encourage students to work hard. “I use all of these lessons and more from each of them in my classroom,” Curt says.
So, what is he looking forward to the most in his return to campus? That’s an easy one. “Being part of the Heidelberg family.”
“This place is special in so many ways,” he says. “I want my students to have the same opportuniti9es and amazing experiences that Heidelberg has given me.”
Curt returns to Heidelberg after having taught chemistry at The University of Virginia’s College at Wise. He also has taught at Southwestern Oklahoma State University, Georgia Southern University and Erskine College in South Carolina. At the ‘Berg, his Visiting Assistant Professor appointment will have him teaching Allied Health, Organic Chemistry and labs.
Joining Curt as new faculty members for the 2021-22 academic year will be:
• Dr. Matthew Kennedy, assistant professor of composition and theory. He earned his DMA from the University of Hartland, his MM from Butler University and his BA from Anderson University.
• Dr. Lisa Kahle-Plasecki, associate professor of business. She earned her Ph.D. from the University of Toledo, her M.Ed. from Bowling Green State University, and an MBA from the University of Findlay.
• Dr. Patricia Berg, associate professor of business. She received her DBA from Anderson University, her MBA from John Carroll University and her BA from Baldwin Wallace.
• Douglas Woods, associate professor of accounting. He earned his Master’s in Accounting from Case Western Reserve University and his Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Ohio Northern University.
• Scott Miller, assistant professor of accounting. He earned his Master’s in Accounting and his Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from The Ohio State University.
• Dr. Nichole Griffin, assistant professor of education. She received her Ed.D. degree from Liberty University and her MPA and Bachelor’s degree from Ohio State.
• Erica Moyer, instructor of biology. She is a graduate of Bowling Green State University with her Bachelor’s and M.Ed. degrees.
Additionally, David Cotter, who has worked with the Theatre Department, has been appointed assistant professor of theatre.
Welcome to all of our new colleagues and best wishes for a successful year!