Financial Aid
Financial Aid

For Current Students

Heidelberg students studying abroad in Germany, Spain or studying in a Heidelberg University-sponsored off-campus program can be eligible for financial assistance. Financial aid for students planning to study abroad is awarded on the same basis as students studying on campus with the following exceptions:

  1. A budget reflecting current costs and expenses is determined. Tuition and fees, room and board, books, supplies and a limited amount for travel expenses is included in the budget.
  2. Need that is normally met with work-study assistance will be met with additional loan assistance when possible.
  3. Additional costs that the student incurs (above on-campus budget expenses) as a result of studying abroad can be met with additional Federal Direct loan, parent loan or educational loan assistance. This additional cost could include transportation, higher living expenses or higher tuition charges.

Any student wishing to participate in a study abroad program as a Heidelberg University student must have successfully completed one academic year at Heidelberg to be eligible for University financial aid funds. Deadline to contact the Financial Aid Office with program acceptance is March 1 for fall semester and Sept. 1 for spring semester.

Study Abroad Scholarship Resources

Undergraduate SAP Policy for Financial Aid Eligibility

Revised 1-2012 to meet new federal requirements

Federal regulations require that schools monitor the academic progress of each applicant for federal financial assistance, and that the school verifies the student is making satisfactory academic progress toward earning a degree. This evaluation of academic progress is done annually at the completion of the spring semester by the Financial Aid Office.

All sources of financial assistance administered by the Financial Aid Office are governed by this policy.

New Federal policy as of July 1, 2011, requires that we set a qualitative standard (grade point average) as well as a quantitative standard (credit hours) which specifies the pace at which the student must progress to graduate within the maximum timeframe established by Heidelberg.

Maximum hours/years to earn a degree: To quantify academic progress, a school must set a maximum time frame in which a student is expected to complete a program. For an undergraduate program, the maximum time frame cannot exceed 150 percent of the published length of the program measured in credit hours attempted and, also, years.

  • Undergraduate programs require 120 hours for graduation. The maximum time frame for students is 180 attempted hours (120 x 1.5=180). Students whose program may require more than 120 hours for a degree will have a higher limit.
  • Heidelberg undergraduate programs normally are completed by the end of four years of full-time enrollment. Therefore, the maximum time frame in years for a full-time student to complete their degree requirements is six years (4 x 1.5=6).

Credit hour/quantitative requirement: Students must demonstrate measurable progress towards earning a degree by successfully completing at least 67 percent of all courses attempted.

  • An attempted credit includes graded courses (A, B, C, D, F, FN, P, U, S) and non-graded courses (I, W, WF). Attempted hours also include any transfer hours accepted toward the student’s degree by Heidelberg. Grades of W, WF, F, FN, U and I are not considered successful completion and are not, therefore, counted in earned credits. Repeated courses are included in attempted credits, and courses with passing grades are treated as earned. Audits are not included in attempted or earned credits.
  • To calculate the percentage of credits you have earned, total all attempted credits and all earned credits. Then, divide the number of earned credits by the number of attempted.

Total Earned Credits/Total Attempted Credits=Percentage completed

For example: 18/24=75 percent, 24/30=80 percent, 20/30=66.7 percent

  • Withdrawals: Grades of W are counted as courses attempted.
  • Incompletes: An I is not counted in hours passed until a grade is assigned.
  • Audits: No credit is earned for audited courses. They are not included in attempted hours.
  • Transfer credits: All transfer hours accepted by Heidelberg are counted in the maximum timeframe measurement and, therefore, are included in attempted and earned hours. A grade of C- or higher is required.

Grade point average requirement/qualitative requirement: At the end of their second year, a student must earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.

Students must meet Heidelberg’s SAP standards to be eligible for financial aid funds for their next term of enrollment. In order to regain eligibility, the student must meet the stated quantitative and qualitative requirements. Students have two options to regain eligibility:

  1. Successfully complete coursework that improves Heidelberg cumulative gpa and/or completion rate to meet the required standards, or
  2. Appeal to the Office of Financial Aid SAP committee for reconsideration based upon extenuating circumstances (review right to appeal requirements).

Notification: Students not meeting SAP requirements are notified by letter mailed to their mailing address, as indicated in Banner/OASIS II, in mid to late May after the Financial Aid Office staff has reviewed grades and progress. Students are responsible for keeping that address current or having mail forwarded to them during the summer months. The notification letter will state that the student is not meeting SAP requirements and what the student needs to regain eligibility.

Unless an appeal is granted for extenuating circumstances, a student can regain eligibility only by coming into compliance with the standards of academic progress.

Right to Appeal: Students have the right to appeal any decision of ineligibility to continue to receive financial assistance. Appeals must be made before the next enrollment term after the aid eligibility has been lost. 

  • The appeal may not be based upon the need for the financial assistance, poor study habits, course overload or the lack of knowledge that financial assistance was in jeopardy. 
  • An appeal would normally be based upon some unusual situation or condition which prevented the student from passing courses, or which required withdrawal from class. Such circumstances could include documented student illness or injury, family illness or the death of a family member, loss due to natural disaster, victim of crime or abuse or significant breakdown of family relationship. 
  • Appeals can only be approved by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee and are separate from admission, academic or athletic decisions. A completed Heidelberg University SAP Appeals Form is required. 
  • The appeal must include a typed statement explaining the extenuating circumstances, how the circumstances have been addressed and the student’s college goals. Documentation is also required such as hospital records, death certificate, statement from third party, etc.
  • Students’ appeals which are granted are considered to be on Financial Aid Probation. Probation status requires the student to submit an academic plan that outlines how they will meet SAP standards. This plan is developed with the help of the Financial Aid staff and/or an academic advisor. The plan will be reviewed and monitored by the Financial Aid staff.

Please complete Heidelberg University SAP Appeal Form.

The mere passage of time will not ordinarily restore eligibility to a student who has lost eligibility for failure to make satisfactory academic progress.

Students who have been academically dismissed by the University but who are subsequently given permission to re-enroll are not automatically eligible for financial aid funding. SAP requirements must be met. Admission decisions are separate from financial aid decisions.

Students interested in receiving financial aid must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Department of Education will compute an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) which we use to determine your Federal eligibility. It is our policy to administer aid one semester at a time for all students attending on a part-time status.

Federal Financial Aid Programs

All federal financial aid programs require that students be enrolled in programs leading to a degree, certificate or some other educational credential in order to be considered for assistance.

Federal Pell Grant

A Pell Grant is a need-based award that does not have to be repaid. These grants currently range from $639 - $6,345 per academic year. Students with the greatest need are awarded these grants.

William D. Ford Direct Loan Program

Direct loans are guaranteed, low interest loans for students. The lender is the Department of Education.

There are two types of Direct Loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. A Direct subsidized loan is need-based. No interest is charged while the student is enrolled at least half-time. A Direct unsubsidized loan is not based on financial need and interest is charged during the enrollment period. The interest rates are variable and determined every July 1 and capped at 6.8 percent.

Undergraduate Annual Loan Limits for Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

  Dependent Independent
First Year (freshman) $5,500 (maximum $3,500 subsidized) $9,500 (maximum $3,500 subsidized)
Second Year (sophomore) $6,500 (maximum $4,500 subsidized) $10,500 (maximum $4,500 subsidized)
Third Year (junior and beyond) $7,500 (maximum $5,500 subsidized) $12,500 (maximum $5,500 subsidized)

Aggregate Loan Limits

  Dependent Independent
Undergraduate $31,000 (maximum $23,000 subsidized) $57,500 (maximum $23,000 subsidized)

Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note

Federal Direct Loan Exit Counseling

Veterans Programs

If you are a veteran, reservist or active member of the U.S. Armed Forces, contact your local veterans office or speak with your education services officer about military educational assistance benefits. The veteran certifying official is the Director of Financial Aid.

Undergraduate students interested in financial aid for summer school must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours or half-time status.  All summer terms are added together to determine enrollment status for financial aid purposes.

Students are charged by the credit hour. For Summer 2023, the credit hour charge will be $250; hence, a three-hour class will cost $750.

Students interested in financial aid are required to complete a Summer Aid Application to communicate to the Financial Aid Office their desire to have financial aid. A 2022-23 FAFSA must be filed to be considered for federal and state funding. There is no University scholarship or grant funding available for the summer terms. Financial aid awarding begins May 1. Federal funds, such as Direct Student Loans and Federal Pell Grants, are applied to the student account in early July to follow federal disbursement regulations.

Payment arrangements should be made with the Business Office before the start of the summer term.

Students who will be a full-time student in the academic year are encouraged to meet with the associate director of Financial Aid to develop a full year financial aid and payment plan.

Contact Information

University Hall
Tiffin, OH 44883


Mon - Fri:  8:00am - 5:00pm

Our Team

Cathy Belfiore
Director of Financial Aid
University Hall C114
(419) 448-2622
Cathy Belfiore
Jill Gruss
Financial Aid Representative
Heidelberg University
Christy VanWinkle
Assistant Director of Financial Aid
University Hall